Saturday, May 14, 2011

When in Rome

Buon giorno from Rome! Today is our second day in the capitol of Italy. Since we'll only be here for 3 short days before heading to Florence, we've packed our days full of seeing the sights. Our morning started out with a walking tour lead by the wonderful Catterina,our Swedish guide.



She was quite a character, familiar with every aspect of Rome and its culture. She carried a pink loofa on a tall metal stick as she walked so our group of 25+ could follow her through the crowds.

We walked for 3 hours. Past the Roman Forum...

...and through the city all the way to the Piazza Navona. One of the most memorable stops was at the Trevi Fountain, one of the items on my bucket list. The area is known for its pick-pockets so I was sure to get my coin out of my purse before we turned the corner. As I said before, legend has it that throwing a coin into the fountain insures your return to Rome. After today I sincerely hope that is true.


\



We also got to see the Pantheon, one of my favorite churches I've studied in Art History. It was really amazing.

It is the most well preserved of any ancient Roman building. The oculus in the ceiling is 9 feet in diameter and lets in natural sunlight, as well as rain. While we were there a choir of tourists spontaneously began singing a hymn, a very beautiful moment.


More to come on the great city of Rome. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment