Thursday, May 19, 2011

Eating my way through Italia

I knew before coming to Italy that my trip would be fantastic, and that Italy is known for its food, but I wasn't prepared for just how delicious it would be. It's not long after I have sat down for one meal that I'm planning the next, always trying to fit in all the famous ristorantes, bars (more like our cafes at home), and gelaterias.

This is the best pasta I have had in Italy thus far. Last night we went to a restaurant near the Duomo called Yellow Bar. Some of my friends are taking a cooking class here and their teacher recommended Yellow Bar for its freshly made pasta. I ordered the green and yellow noodles with ham, mushrooms, and tomato and cream sauce. It was so good that everyone at the table of 9 kept wanting a bite, and I gladly shared for fear I would eat the entire pile myself.
IMG_3269

Eating in Italy can be quite the task due to their large number of courses. Waiters expect you to order an antipasti (appetizer), primo piatto (first course..pasta, soup, etc.), and a secondo piatto (main course...meat or fish). This also means meals are much longer than the U.S. because of how spaced out the food is. I ordered one of my favorite antipasti's at Yellow Bar, prosciutto and Mozzarella

IMG_3267

My favorite Pizza was the Margherita at a place called Gusta Pizza on the other side of the river in Florence. Yummm

I also loved my pizza at Le Campane. So colorful!

IMG_6758

Another favorite Italian food of mine is the Panini. We have a great panini shop next to our apartment owned by a nice man named Pino, but no panini has come close to this one from Antica Sosa. After we walked through the leather market we found this cute ristorante around the corner where you could eat outside and enjoy a cold Corona. My panini was full of delicious apples, turkey, brie cheese, and pesto sauce. 4 of the things I love most in the world of food.

DSC_0652

I also love one of Florence's specialties, cannellini beans.


Don't even get me started on Gelato. Two places are tied for my favorite right now, it's a close call. Grom has a flavor they are known for called "Crim de Grom," a cream with biscotti mashed up inside, and an awesome coconut flavor. At Perque No, the name of my other favorite gelato place which sums up my attitude of "why not?", I had cinnamon and pear!

IMG_6671



DSC_0601

No comments:

Post a Comment