Monday, June 13, 2011

Museum Hoppin'

One of my most favorite things about Europe is visiting all the museums. Having studied Art History for almost 3 years now, I have learned that a large portion of the world's greatest masterpieces are in Europe, and it has been so neat getting to see some of them in person. So far I have been to the Uffizi Gallery, Duomo Museum, Academia, Pitti Palace, and a few of the cathedrals in Florence; the Vatican Museum in Rome; the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice; and Musee D'Orsay and the Louvre in Paris.

IMG_3352

The Academia is a small museum in Florence with a big main attraction...Michelangelo's David. The sculpture is huge, standing at 17 feet tall. You're not allowed to take pictures, but let's get serious, I had to have one...or two. My favorite thing about this masterpiece is the story behind it. The block of marble David was carved from was quarried in a town in Tuscany called Carrara and was the material of two artists prior to Michelangelo, both neglecting their projects and leaving this block of marble exposed to the elements in Florence for 25 years. No sculptor wanted to touch this piece of marble, calling it unfit for use partly due to how easily it chipped. But guess what? My main man Michelangelo was able to carve one of the world's most beautiful pieces of art out of that "unfit" block of marble. I think that's pretty cool.

IMG_3353

The statue was also originally supposed to be placed on the roof of the cathedral of the Duomo is Florence, but soon before it's completion it was understood this was too important a work of art to put it high up and barely visible. So it was decided to put the statue at the entrance to Palazzo Vecchio. This is why David's head looks so big in comparison to his body, Michelangelo wanted people to see it when looking up at the cathedral from the ground.

Most museums don't allow pictures. I definitely understand not allowing a flash around paintings, because this could cause the color to fade over time, but there are some works of art I would really like a picture in front of to remember my time spent there. Therefore, the Louvre in Paris was my kind of museum because it allowed you to take as many pictures as you wanted, without flash of course.

I had been to the Louvre with my parents when I was was younger, but it was a completely different experience having studied art history.

IMG_7675

I chose to buy an audio guide, which ended up being a great decision. It looked like a mini GPS, complete with a screen that showed you a picture of the painting and gave you 3 choices of dialogue to listen to, usually about the artist, the painting in general, and certain details. All you had to do was type in the number of the painting on the screen. Really cool technology.

IMG_7748

First we stopped in to say hello to Mona Lisa, see what she was up to.

IMG_7706

The madness around her was crazy. People pushing to get up to the front, cameras ready. The bullet proof glass in front of her is very thick, and she stands alone on this wall. I kind of felt bad for the other paintings in the room. Wonder if Leonardo da Vinci knew how important this painting would become when he painted it. The audio guide started out by saying "This is the most famous painting in the world."

IMG_7705

I also got to see one of my favorite and most studied paintings, The Raft of the Medusa by Gericault. I didn't even know it was in the Louvre so I was very excited when we found it. It's very big.

IMG_7729

IMG_7728

However, not as big as one of the largets paintings in the world, The Coronation of Napoleon by David, which stands at 20 feet x 30 feet. My favorite fact about this painting was how Napoleon manipulated it to seem like an event that everyone was in favor of. Turns out his mother didn't like the idea of him being crowned emperor or his soon to be wife, so she stayed in Rome on the day of the coronation to protest. Napoleon didn't want anyone to know this so he demanded she be put smack in the middle of this painting, looking on with a big smile as he crowns his new wife. Sneaky Napoleon.

IMG_7718

IMG_7724

I thought it was interesting that almost all of the most famous paintings in the Louvre caused some sort of scandal during their time. This is true of the Grand Odalisque by Ingres. She was seen as to sensual, but I think she's beautiful in person.

IMG_7711

IMG_7712

Also saw the Venus de Milo...

IMG_7760

...the largest collection of Leonardo Da Vinci paintings in the world...

IMG_7695

and a few others.

IMG_7687

IMG_7744

Florence has so many beautiful cathedrals, and each one of them serves as a sort of museum. So far my favorite is Santa Croce, only a few blocks from my apartment. Santa Croce is the sight of 267 graves, but two very famous men used Santa Croce as a final resting place...Michelangelo and Galileo. Their tombs are across from each other towards the front of the church.

IMG_3388

IMG_3393

Santa Croce also survived an intense flood in 1966 and this cross became a symbol of coming back after the destruction.

IMG_3413

My favorite pieces of art I've seen that I was not able to take pictures of...

The Birth of Venus by Botticelli in the Uffizi

The Birth of Venus

Alchemy by Jackson Pollock in the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (I'm not usually a modern art girl but this one was really cool because he used string and aluminum foil as well as paint)

288g1_pollock_alchemy_553

In Bed by Toulouse Lautrec...

ts

...and Vase with Flowers by Van Gogh in the Musee D'Orsay, to name a few.

Vase with Flowers Stretched Canvas Print

Only 12 days left in Italia and still so much on the To do list! Being the art history nerd that I am, I am so thankful that I was able to see all of these works of art in person and expand my knowledge of art in such a wonderful city FULL Of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment